Larry Sultan - A Domestic Inspiration

Larry Sultan is an American photographer, who's work concerning domestic life influenced his rise to fame. I first encountered the work of Sultan in my previous academic year, and instantly felt a connection to it. Family means a lot to me, and is apparent that his series 'Pictures from Home' that his family were very important to him too.



I like how raw Sultan's images seem. It is common knowledge that he posed some of the images in the collection, however, it is difficult to identify which images exactly. I like how each image is unique, whilst surrounding the same subject, and providing the viewer insight into Sultan's domestic life. I believe that a persons home often reflects their personality, and it is interesting to look into the personalities of Sultan's parents through the series. I think it would be interesting to document some of the homes of individuals within my family, and see if their personality shines through the images.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Grandma Pauline

The Portraits of Michael James